There are many fine and diverse grocery stores in the area. Some are within walking distance and others within a short drive.
- Sawyer’s – 2 blocks up the road in town. They have a good selection of fine foods and some freshly prepared soups and such.
- Southwest Food Mart – Route 102 on the North side of SWH (on your right as you leave town). They will have just about everything you will need.
- Gott’s Market – Route 102 south. They have the basics. But, as an added bonus, they have an ice cream shop at the back of the store and make great pizza to go. They are open late into the evening.
- Hannaford Supermarket – Rt. 3a in Ellsworth
or Cottage Street in Bar Harbor. A full service market with just about everything! They also have an organic section.
Specialty Wine and Cheese
Specialties – 2 blocks up the road in town. They have a
great selection of fine wine and specialty cheese.
- Beech Hill Farm - Includes five acres of diversified, certified organic farmland, several acres of heirloom apple trees (some dating to the Civil War), 65 acres of forest, a barn, farmhouse, farm stand, outbuildings, and five hoop greenhouses. The farm stand offers a wide variety of organic produce, locally-produced goods such as honey, jams, meat, eggs, dairy products, baked goods, berries, cut flowers, juice, and gourmet specialty foods.
Call (207) 244-5204 for current business hours.
- John Edwards’ Market - Selling a wide variety of fine foods and organic products since 1970. Their produce section is always fresh and always organic. Local farmers will supply a large portion seasonally. Their Wine Cellar Gallery is also where you will find artwork from Maine artists and over 900 varieties of fine and unusual wines.
While each cottage is self-catering, we expect that you would like to get out and sample some of the excellent restaurants on the island. There are several great eateries within walking distance in Southwest Harbor. If you don’t mind a bit of a drive, Bar Harbor is only 20-30 minutes away. An extensive list of fine restaurants (along with their menus) is provided in the Restaurant Guide in the check-in cottage. Listed here are a few to get you started.
Take Out Lobster: Of course, this is why folks come to Maine!
- Beal’s Lobster Pier – approximately one mile away on Clark Point Road. You order and then take your meal to screened in porch or outside picnic tables. They will cook and pack your lobster for takeout, heat butter and crack shell for easier access.
- Thurston’s Lobster Pound - located in Bernard. You order and then find a table on screened deck.
Eat In: Dining on the island is always casual, so don’t worry about getting dressed up to get a great meal. In no particular order, we would recommend the following restaurants.
- Fiddlers’ Green
Directly across the street. Extensive wine and beer menu,
excellent food and great service. Serving dinner.
- Sea Biscuits Café - Left out of driveway towards town (about 1 block). Delicious breakfast served until 1pm. Offers tasty Gluten Free options!
- Little Notch Bakery – 2 blocks up the road in town. Excellent baked goods, pizza, and sandwiches.
Jay Dub's – Located by the SWH Post Office. Offers breakfast,
lunch & dinner. Have a selection of burgers, homemade soups and salads as well as daily specials. Also enjoy desserts from 3Ds Baking Co. next door.
- Quiet Side Café & Ice Cream Shop – 2 blocks up the road in town.
Serve lunch & dinner. Sandwiches, pizza, burgers, chowder & such, ice cream and out
of this world pie!
- Red Sky – 2 blocks up the road in town.
Enjoy fine dining. Serve dinner.
- SIPS – 2 blocks up the road in
town. Serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Café 2 & Eat-a-Pita – 3 blocks up the road in town. Serve great breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Chow Maine Asian Specialties - 2 blocks up
the road by the Post Office. Take-out
Breakfast at Grumpy's - on the water two
blocks up on the left as you turn right out of the driveway. Serve
breakfast and lunch.